When I Say, "The Way I See It"

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I say the words, "The way I see it," in posts that I make what Im saying is that it's just my opinion, not that I'm stating it as fact. Im just making an educated guess, or stating my position.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I say the words, "The way I see it," in posts that I make what Im saying is that it's just my opinion, not that I'm stating it as fact. Im just making an educated guess, or stating my position.
Sounds good. That’s the way that I have always taken it. No problems here.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"The way I see it,"
It's very tedious to attach "This is just my personal opinion" on each and every thread that you post. You post the thread. Of course it's your opinion (by default).

When you use the word

- "I", people may think that you are self-center.
- "you", people may think that you try to force others to do something.

A: The way I think ...
B: Do you assume the sun is moving around you?

A: You may think ...
B: Don't shove your opinion into my throat. ...

Avoid using "YOU" and "I" in any thread should be the best way.

Last edited:

Hot Lunch

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you have to say this after a decade of being here, then you know those words are falling on blind eyes. Whatever you're trying to stop from happening by using that disclaimer, there are some bloodthirsty sharks here that this won't work on.

Just last week, I made a statement where I put a particular word in quotation marks to keep the bloodthirsty sharks away, but one ignored it and still showed up anyway. And I had to remind him twice that the word was in quotations.

Gyakuto

Senior Master
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless a statement is accompanied by some sort of citation, I implicitly assume it is opinion. This is how in goes in everyday, normal conversation of which this message board is an extension.

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Unless a statement is accompanied by some sort of citation, I implicitly assume it is opinion. This is how in goes in everyday, normal conversation of which this message board is an extension.
I don’t go that far. If I get enough information to be able to independently verify, I can accept something as a fact even if it isn’t accompanied with a bibliography.

FWIW, I agree it’s a good idea to provide links to sources. I do that pretty often, but I don’t think anyone actually reads the studies.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Unless a statement is accompanied by some sort of citation, I implicitly assume it is opinion.
I would even go as far to say that even if someone aspires to commmunicate a fact, that will never be the same as an actual fact, not matter how you see it. It still needs to be qualified. Without this qualification, even a "statement of a fact" remains close to an "opinion"; namely the opinion that someone consider this to be a fact. But the receiver should always make it's own evaluation.

One could even make a case that facts, if defined by some statistically confidence level, can still be relative to your sampling. Thus two persons can justify incompatible effect facts, and that is not a contradiction at all.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I would even go as far to say that even if someone aspires to commmunicate a fact, that will never be the same as an actual fact, not matter how you see it. It still needs to be qualified. Without this qualification, even a "statement of a fact" remains close to an "opinion"; namely the opinion that someone consider this to be a fact. But the receiver should always make it's own evaluation.

One could even make a case that facts, if defined by some statistically confidence level, can still be relative to your sampling. Thus two persons can justify incompatible effect facts, and that is not a contradiction at all.
Facts can be opinions in the same way “literally” can mean literally or figuratively.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s funny because it’s true.

That’s great! Thanks for pointing this out.

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
This required a new thread?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think this is necessary for you to explain. I think it's clear to me. lol

OIG4.QeXmRQMYakaU809sUvS1

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
This required a new thread?
Getting a bit more philosophical that then OP intended? but as I saw that picture with the horses reflectign over the dude with the bat I could even argue that our whole word is made up by opposing views. The tension/contradiction implicit in the differing views, is what makes nature non-trivial and dynamical. Some effective objectivity is what remains when we start interacting with differing views, and at some point we may reach equilibrium where we agree to disagree, and the corresponding invariants from that are "objective facts", or at least "effective objective fats" on moderate timescales.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Is it necessary to always use "I" or "you" in your post?

When you say:

Because leg is longer than the arm,

1. if I punch you, you can kick me.
2. if you punch your opponent, your opponent can kick you.
3. if A punches B, B can kick A.

- 1. uses I.
- 2. uses you (general YOU).
- 3. doesn't use I or you.

When you use "I", people may think you are self-center. When you use "you", people may think you try to force your opinion on others. IMO, 3 is the best way to say.

Last edited:

HighKick

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don’t go that far. If I get enough information to be able to independently verify, I can accept something as a fact even if it isn’t accompanied with a bibliography.

FWIW, I agree it’s a good idea to provide links to sources. I do that pretty often, but I don’t think anyone actually reads the studies.
Something has to be said for experiential credit and the knowledge gathered.
If it looks like it, and smells like it, it usually is. If a person needs more proof (for whatever reason), it is on them.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Something has to be said for experiential credit and the knowledge gathered.
If it looks like it, and smells like it, it usually is. If a person needs more proof (for whatever reason), it is on them.
Sure but that’s a little harder to gauge on an Internet forum. It gets tricky when people start appealing to authority. And some folks talk a good game, particularly when it comes to something squishy like “self defense.” It can be difficult to tell the difference between shark and a remora, sometimes.

Don’t get me wrong, do you. If you trust someone or don’t, that’s up to you. This is just “the way I see it.” 😂