What is Aikido?

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
I too love practicing Korindo Aikido and have found it to have great impact on me. But, I dislike attributing "too much" to something, and especially dislike attributing uniqueness too one M.A. for things which exists in multiple others.
Note that in Terry Dobson story, he was the Aikidoka, and any M.A. experiance of the older Japanese is left unmentioned.
And as I have mentioned earlier, I have heard multiple similar stories of M.A. seniors who practice other M.A. and acted in the spirit of the old man, though they had nothing to do with Aikido. I believe this to be one sign of being a Martial Artist: being able to solve such situations with confidence and without resorting to actual violence.

Amir
The Terry Dobson story has inspired a great many aikidoka over the years. Aikido attracts those who recognize the value of the peaceful way. It takes greater discipline and a stronger spirit to harmonize with a situation and redirect the negative energy without resorting to violence. Taijiquan is another art with a similar approach and outlook.

What is Aikido?

It varies from club to club, but a lot of Aikidoka experience it is a spiritual practice.

Last edited:

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It takes greater discipline and a stronger spirit to harmonize with a situation and redirect the negative energy without resorting to violence. Taijiquan is another art with a similar approach and outlook.
Well ... sorta. Taijiquan uses both yin and yang: yin to redirect, to allow the opponent in; but then to allow you to express force in the form of not only a push, but a punch or a kick. Some applications are definitely meant to injure the opponent, so violence is definitely on the table.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well ... sorta. Taijiquan uses both yin and yang: yin to redirect, to allow the opponent in; but then to allow you to express force in the form of not only a push, but a punch or a kick. Some applications are definitely meant to injure the opponent, so violence is definitely on the table.
And this applies equally to aikido, although it is often forgotten (or overlooked) that the art blends both hard and gentle techniques.

In My Spiritual Journey by Gozo Shioda he writes "In a real fight 70% is atemi"

The following link expands on this point with video demonstrations by Morihiro Saito.

Last edited:

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
According to Morihei Ueshiba, aikido is not about techniques. It is about manifesting in and yo (yin and yang) within one's body. This gives rise to instant victory (katsu hayabi, i.e. kuzushi/unbalancing on contact) and spontaneous techniques (takemusu). It is a way to manifest the order of the cosmos (yin and yang, lzanagi and Izanami, fire and water, which when said together are pronounced as "god", etc.) within yourself. It's both a physical and mental purification (misogi).

In other terms, aikido = become bouncy hard to move person for whack whack by imitating the universe.

Peter H

White Belt
Reaction score
Responding to the original post,

I have always looked at Aikido as Jazz. It is what happens between the notes.

The techniques of Aikido are in other martial arts.
Aikido is what I am doing between techniques. Blending and merging or keeping time and distance while looking for an escape.

That's been the difference when I work with people from other styles, even similar one like jujitsu, BJJ, and Judo. They are looking for position, opportunity, a chance to go on the offense.

Aikido doesn't care about that. My goal is to not get hurt, and if possible, not hurt the other guy while I am at it.

Latest Discussions