What have you learned from Bruce Lee?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own."
Bruce Lee

"But examine all things; hold fast to that which is good;"
St. Paul's First Epistle to the Thessalonians, 5:21-23.

Fungus

Blue Belt
Reaction score
More cheesy quotes...

“Only the one who does not question is safe from making a mistake.”
- Albert Einstein

“The one who knows all the answers has not been asked all the questions.”
- Confucius

In the context of exploring and expanding sciece. You can avoid "mistakes" by sticking to corroborated theory; rehashing what your teachers have taught you (ie stick to an do not question your style), but then you fail to make progress due to fear of making mistakes. So what is more important - learning or not beeing wrong? It's the ugly edge of scientific process or ANY learning process.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not. Add what is uniquely your own."
Bruce Lee

"But examine all things; hold fast to that which is good;"
St. Paul's First Epistle to the Thessalonians, 5:21-23.

So I guess you won’t mind if I **** all over the dead leader of your middle eastern cult?

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
No, if there is some psychological need to do so, I would not object. I'm agnostic.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Why not? I do too. You don't need to buy into the supernatural woo woo to find some wisdom in pretty much all religions.
Ok let’s go back to why I said this. I am not a Bruce Lee fan. I stated, “speak kindly of the dead” in reference to the bashing of the deceased. Then this guy wants to comment and add a bible quote. I find quotes of bible verse when added to a response to a secular post rather offensive. I’m sure erudite people can find insightful passages written by a host of historical villains of all stripes. People are free to say or do whatever they want, but they don’t get to select the reaction to their action.

Cynik75

Purple Belt
Reaction score
... I find quotes of bible verse when added to a response to a secular post rather offensive. ...
As a leftist atheist I find you not understanding why was this quote placed. It was good quote showing us that there was nothing new or groundbreaking in called "Bruce Lee's so philosophy". His insightful words of wisdom are a collection of old adages.
PS. Our civilization is doomed to destruction if people are afraid that something is "offensive".

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok let’s go back to why I said this. I am not a Bruce Lee fan. I stated, “speak kindly of the dead” in reference to the bashing of the deceased. Then this guy wants to comment and add a bible quote. I find quotes of bible verse when added to a response to a secular post rather offensive. I’m sure erudite people can find insightful passages written by a host of historical villains of all stripes. People are free to say or do whatever they want, but they don’t get to select the reaction to their action.
May I ask why?

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a leftist atheist I find you not understanding why was this quote placed. It was good quote showing us that there was nothing new or groundbreaking in called "Bruce Lee's so philosophy". His insightful words of wisdom are a collection of old adages.
PS. Our civilization is doomed to destruction if people are afraid that something is "offensive".
I’m not afraid to be offended. As I said, people are free to say whatever. I am one of those free people too.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
It just irritates me slightly more than Bruce Lee worship. I tend to be blunt in my responses. Im not always as strident and aggressive as i may sound.

Latest Discussions