Tyson Fury vs Francis Ngannou

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Fury by KO.

Sure, Ngannou looks like a great puncher in MMA. But, you are comparing him to other MMA punchers. Boxing is a whole different game. All they do is punch and defend punches. In boxing, the punch defense is much better, because it has to work against people who specialize in and are very good at punching. You cannot change levels and shoot... And in boxing, you have to take punches from people who specialize in and are very good at punching.

Remember.... Fury got up from this... and won that fight. (he KOed Wilder in the next two fights)

If this were an MMA fight, Ngannou all day.... but this is a boxing match. Ngannou is going out.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had no interest in seeing this fight. I blew it off as another excuse for Fury ducking top contenders. Mind you, I'm not here to debate who "really won" the fight. The decision was made, so we have no choice but to accept it.

But an 0-0 newcomer going 12 rounds with the undefeated champ and forcing a split decision has either exposed Fury, or the entire heavyweight class in boxing.

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had no interest in seeing this fight. I blew it off as another excuse for Fury ducking top contenders. Mind you, I'm not here to debate who "really won" the fight. The decision was made, so we have no choice but to accept it.

But an 0-0 newcomer going 12 rounds with the undefeated champ and forcing a split decision has either exposed Fury, or the entire heavyweight class in boxing.
Meh to me that’s the rocky 1 situation. fury looked his best because he didn’t take it seriously simple as that. Do people really think that was the same fury who beat wilder twice or beat Klitscho…of course it wasn’t anyway I scored it for fury pretty convincingly. This isn’t mma or Muay thai where 1 knockdown wins the whole fight 9 out of 10 times. It takes more to win a fight than one knock down and you can check the stats fury landed more so he won. Francis did a good job for sure. But in mma he was destroying everyone in one round never going 5 rounds let alone 10 that alone shows the difference in striking quality

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Now Fury HAS to fight AJ. Or at least Usyk or Ruiz, just to even show that he's in the same league as AJ.

Hot Lunch

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Meh to me that’s the rocky 1 situation. fury looked his best because he didn’t take it seriously simple as that.
Except that Rocky II showed that Creed "not taking it seriously the first time" was simply something he said to make himself sleep better at night.

Do people really think that was the same fury who beat wilder twice or beat Klitscho…of course it wasn’t anyway I scored it for fury pretty convincingly.
If people do, are they really that far off, if at all?

First, considering having beaten Wilder to be this big achievement is questionable at best. Wilder had been overhyped, and has never beaten anyone worth mentioning. Klitscho was a decade past his prime when Fury beat him. To put it bluntly, from 2018 to 2021, Fury happened to be a big fish in a small pond.

I thought the fight between Fury and Ngannou exposed heavyweight boxing as a whole, but AJ proved that that fight only exposed Fury.

OP
T

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Now Fury HAS to fight AJ. Or at least Usyk or Ruiz, just to even show that he's in the same league as AJ.
AJ vs Fury is the fight people have been waiting for. AJ ducked Wilder at every opportunity. Fury stepped up and took the Wilder challenge when everyone thought he was crazy to do so. Ruiz put on a great display in the first AJ fight and then let himself go for the rematch. Heavyweight boxing is becoming more and more like American wrestling; lots of hype and little real action. Bringing in a UFC fighter for extra promotion is not going to improve boxing as a whole. You can really see the difference in ability when it comes to hand-skill and power in the ring. Boxers specialize in striking and AJ flattening Francis Ngannou illustrates this point perfectly - it will be fun to see if AJ can do the same to Fury 🥊

"Me and Oleksandr Usyk have got an undisputed heavyweight world title fight coming up, and he’s just had a show fight - which is fantastic for the show, but for the actual real boxing it’s me and Usyk who fight for the #1 position and undisputed" - Tyson Fury

Last edited: