Timing of curriculum and promotions

Bonhomme

White Belt
Reaction score
How does your school handle the timing of curriculum and promotions? At one school I am aware of, all students learn techniques and forms/sets (based on belt rank) at the same rate over a cycle system. Thus, all students are prompted at the same rate. While this is efficient for the school, it also presents some challenges. Namely, students who learn slower may struggle with the material, but are promoted anyway and move on to new material they may not be ready for. Conversely, students who learn faster get frustrated because the are "held back" by the calendar and get the same promotion as a student who is less skilled.
Is this a common approach? Or do you see a more individual approach when a student is taught new material and promoted when they are ready?

gyoja

Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does your school handle the timing of curriculum and promotions? At one school I am aware of, all students learn techniques and forms/sets (based on belt rank) at the same rate over a cycle system. Thus, all students are prompted at the same rate. While this is efficient for the school, it also presents some challenges. Namely, students who learn slower may struggle with the material, but are promoted anyway and move on to new material they may not be ready for. Conversely, students who learn faster get frustrated because the are "held back" by the calendar and get the same promotion as a student who is less skilled.
Is this a common approach? Or do you see a more individual approach when a student is taught new material and promoted when they are ready?
I don’t know if this is a common approach, but it’s not an approach that I take. Students learn at different rates, so some promote faster than others.

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would call that a "No Child Left Behind" system. And all know that does Not work very well.

Latest Discussions