San Francisco Bill Paul judo and non violent self defense

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to watch a few videos to understand the purpose. My first take was that it was stupid. But if put into the context of being in a situation where you don't want hurt someone "healthcare worker." then I can see the value of getting out of harm's way without harming your attacker
I've been in this position literally hundreds of times, but I never considered any of it non-violent. It's violent. I differentiate between things that cause pain and things that cause injury. But any time it's necessary to physically force someone to do something, it's violent.
Context is everything and he shows the difference here with the push to the chest vs push to the shoulder
I would be super cautious about using either of those in a healthcare setting. Because to a layman, there's really no difference between that push and a punch.
"Non-violent self-defense" is probably not the best term for this system. Probably could have used someone in marketing to brand that a little better.
Agreed. It's a silly name.

OP
R

raventony

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been in this position literally hundreds of times, but I never considered any of it non-violent. It's violent. I differentiate between things that cause pain and things that cause injury. But any time it's necessary to physically force someone to do something, it's violent.

I would be super cautious about using either of those in a healthcare setting. Because to a layman, there's really no difference between that push and a punch.

Agreed. It's a silly name.
Dr William Paul worked hard to create this corpus of techniques. The context was different from the street or other situations but for sure his goal was toward the training operators in the hospitals. For the people that loves martial arts like me they can find elements from different martial arts ( probably with tai chi emphasis). Prof Paul died in 1989 in the development of his method. About the name of his method like "non violent self defense" probably it reflected a specific historical period where in some area like San Francisco universities or closed places there was this idea of "non violence". It's an idea. I can be wrong

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
his goal was toward the training operators in the hospitals.
Will double under hooks, or double over hooks be better solution? You control your opponent "peaceful and friendly" take him back to his room.

double_under_hooks.png

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Will double under hooks, or double over hooks be better solution? You control your opponent "peaceful and friendly" take him back to his room.

View attachment 30749
You would just take their back if you were on your own. And probably 2 on one russian if there were more of you.

Kind of this but without pulling guns and knives out and killing people.

OP
R

raventony

White Belt
Reaction score
Every opinion is ok and help us to see things from different point of views. So every idea is welcome. I think that these techniques are far from what Sensei/Prof Paul wanted to do. Prof Paul died when he was 50 years old in 1989 when his method had a partial development . With his San Francisco street experiences, studies, martial arts experience, etc he developed something reasoning in a non violent self defense ( NVSD) . There are no kicks and punches that in a mental hospital could be very dangerous. He was a great man: pioneer not only in martial arts but in activism and in many San Francisco organizations too.

Latest Discussions