Practice Practice Practice!

General_Tso

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 4 weeks into my Sil Lum Kung Fu classes and at only one 2 hour class a week (It's all I have time for right now) I practice just about everyday for 30 minutes to an hour. However, I am finding it difficult to practice some of the things I am learning without a partner who can lend a hand...or arm......or wrist.

The Control moves have proven difficult to practice. I go through the motions pretending someone has grabbed my wrist, or shoulder or whatever, but without an arm there it's difficult to effectively practice I think. (5 basic control moves)

Another "drill" I would like to practice at home (solo) would be the punching/blocking drill - I forget what it's called (sorry). It's the drill where you and your partner alternately and continuously block/(mantis)block/punch. back and forth over and over. It tends to speed up as you go. Sorry, I wish I knew what it was called but I forgot. I hope you know what I am talking about.

Anyone have any ideas on how to practice this stuff solo, effectively? I was thinking of attaching one of those "pool noodles" to the punching bag to use as an arm. Problem is I havent figured out how to get two of them to alternatly punch me..... :) Maybe putting them on a spinning base. I dunno.

Thanks!

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
What you're explaining sounds like chi sau perhaps but there are also single handed drills depending on your lineage which you didn't mention.
After 4 weeks of training imo I would forget chi sau for now and work on and concentrate on the most important in many of the lineage, your 1st form.
Also, sound like you need a wall bag to practice punching correctly.... and keep you busy :)