Bruce Lee wasn't a God

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Luke 14:11

facepalm-really.gif

You do know Bruce Lee is dead...right.... and has been for over 50 years..... kind of hard for him to exalts, or humble himself...don't ya think

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm not certain that I do. Like Elvis Presley or Evel Knievel, I'm not really a fan, but I recognize that they had an outsized impact on the zeitgeist. But I am unusual (apparently) for a martial artist in that I don't watch martial arts movies (exception, Kuro Obi), and am not a fan of MMA/UFC/etc.

I just hear a lot of "Be like water," which is true enough, although plenty of people said it (in variations) before Bruce Lee.

"In his duties, especially in religion, a man's spirit should be like water flowing down the shallow channel of a brook; which, though it meets with stones and sticks and innumerable obstructions, in its course, continues to ripple and wind, and insinuate itself perseveringly, through every opening, till it has left them all behind; when, deep and broad, at length, it runs into the sea."

Voyages and Travels Round the World
By Daniel Tyerman, James Montgomery, George Bennet · 1841

Respect for Bruce Lee, I get. Reverence and worship? Not so much.
but the question is, who worships him? Does anyone on this forum revere Bruce Lee? I mean, there may be a guy somewhere who reveres Bruce Lee. But is this a conversation about something that only exists in our imagination?

MuayJitsu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
but the question is, who worships him? Does anyone on this forum revere Bruce Lee? I mean, there may be a guy somewhere who reveres Bruce Lee. But is this a conversation about something that only exists in our imagination?
Trust me go look at YouTube comments and you’ll get people saying he can knock out heavyweight ufc fighters and be genuinely serious about it

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of "Be like water". To let water to go through rock takes too much time.

I like the idea of "Be like drill". You can drill a hole whenever and wherever that you want to.

Bruce Lee died too young with his conservative approach. He didn't live long enough to reach to his next level (more aggressive approach).

If you

- punch me, I'll take you down.
- kick me. I'll take you down.
- do nothing, I'll still take you down.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know of one school in my area, but I understand it's pretty well-known in the DC area.
DC is the birth pace of Jow Ga In the US. They had a strong community presence. The school was known for having good fighters and many of the students HD that reputation. Their mindset is to spread Jow Ga by sharing Jow Ga.

Unfortunately most people from DC tend to stay in DC or close by in Virgina and Maryland. The students may move but most teacher seem to stay close to DC.

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DC is the birth pace of Jow Ga In the US. They had a strong community presence. The school was known for having good fighters and many of the students HD that reputation. Their mindset is to spread Jow Ga by sharing Jow Ga.

Unfortunately most people from DC tend to stay in DC or close by in Virgina and Maryland. The students may move but most teacher seem to stay close to DC.
Too bad it’s not around here. I would love to check it out.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
"For every one who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

.....I'm not a church-goer, so I had to look this up. IMO It's appropriate in this context.
Yeah, I had to look it up, too.

"For every one who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Trivia fer ya: those kinds of statements are called antimetabole ( AN-ti-mə-TAB-ə-lee.) "The Sphinx" in the movie Mystery Men used it a lot.

Carry on!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah, I had to look it up, too.

Trivia fer ya: those kinds of statements are called antimetabole ( AN-ti-mə-TAB-ə-lee.) "The Sphinx" in the movie Mystery Men used it a lot.

Carry on!
Like I tell my high school students when they try to rush out the door just as the bell rings... You are not Pavlov's dogs. You leave when dismissed, not before ...and not because you hear a bell! When a few try to test me, I hold them till after all the other's have left.

That's Mathew 20:16 which I now know to be an example of antimetabole!

gyoja

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you disagreeing with @Hot Lunch? Did I misspell it, or are you still trolling my posts?

Latest Discussions