Anyone familiar with Feldenkrais' PUC Book?

Marvin

Black Belt
Reaction score
All I know about his is that Feldenkrais was a judoka and went on to form a series of exercises similar to, for lack of a better term, yoga.

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's a good start, he definitely was a judoka under Kawaishi, but I am referring to the book he wrote for the home guard. let's see if anyone else chimes in.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
frank raud said:
That's a good start, he definitely was a judoka under Kawaishi, but I am referring to the book he wrote for the home guard. let's see if anyone else chimes in.

That sounds familiar. What country and military group is the manual from and for, specifically?

OP
F

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting little book from a fascinating man. Feldenkrais was in Britain inthe early 1940's, and was asked to train the Home guard. The Home Guard was an auxillary back up if you will to the regular army. As Britain was expecting to be invaded by the Nazis(Operation Sea Lion), even the men and women who were not in the army were deeply involved in patrolling and protecting England.

Feldenkrais wanted something simple and effective that could be taught to large groups in a short period of time. Rather than developing a POI based on striking, such as Fairbairn/Appplegate/Sykes, he developed a system based around a single technique, the rear naked choke. His choke is somewhat modified from the standard judo choke, as the intent is to literally take someone out.

His book shows various ways of getting into RNC from in front, the side, the back, against a taller person, armed with a rifle and bayonet, etc.

This book was at one time reprinted by the Feldenkrais society, as are his excelent judo books, but is no longer available. A rare and interesting book on a different version of WWII Combatives than most of us are familiar with.

Taiji Rebel

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our Tomiki Aikido sensei recommended the Moshe Feldenkrais book on Unarmed Combat. The club featured an eclectic mix of martial artists. A number of guys came from a military background so they liked to keep things real. Out of all the aikido clubs, Tomiki-style had the more practical applications - and this club in particular was a true melting-pot of martial effectiveness. It has been a long time since I last read the Feldenkrais book, but this post has inspired me to study it once again 🙏

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hadaka-Jime: The Core Technique for Practical Unarmed Combat as described above and Jiu-jitsu and Self Defense are both available on Amazon.

Moshe Feldenkrais published Jiu-Jitsu and Self Defense as a training manual for Haganah recruits in 1930.

Regards
Brian King

Latest Discussions